Thursday, July 25, 2013

I'm Disturbed By The Pina Colada Song



Something has been troubling me lately about "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" by Rupert Holmes. First, though, I'd like to state that yes, I know the "n" in "Pina" is supposed to have one of those little squiggly things above it, but I don't know how to do that. Sorry.

Anyway...in the song, the singer complains about how things are bad with him and his lady and they've fallen into the same old, dull routines. This inspires him to look in the personal ads of a newspaper for someone else. He sees an ad from a woman who's looking for a guy who's into pina coladas, getting caught in the rain, etc.

He writes a reply saying, "Yes, I like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain" and they decide to meet at a bar. When he gets there, he sees the woman and discovers that it's his wife. She says, "Oh, it's you," in a tone that sounds like, "Aw, shucks, what do you know? You're not a stranger. You're my little Pooh Bear!"

Then they both laugh about the whole thing.

So, seriously....they just laugh about the situation? I mean, c'mon! She finds out that her husband responded to a personal ad and was going to cheat on her and it doesn't upset her? And then he's not mad that his wife placed a personal ad and was going to cheat on him with some total stranger who could be a raging, alcoholic madman who likes to stand in the rain?

Yeah, they were probably both laughing because each of them knew they were busted and they were just trying to play if off, but I can't believe they weren't at least a little pissed off at each other!

Despite the fun tone of the song, maybe the two characters in it are horrible sinners who will one day be drinking pina coladas with Satan in the burning pit fires of Hell.

Then again, maybe since they didn't technically cheat on each other, they won't go to Hell. Plus, God would probably cut Rupert Holmes some slack since his parents named him "Rupert." You've got to feel sorry for someone with that name.

Also, there's a tiny, minuscule chance that I've over-thought this whole thing.

Anyway...end of rant. Here's the song. It's a great one. Enjoy!


4 comments:

Olivia Hardin (Writer) said...

You always make me laugh, Buddy!

Anonymous said...

This is one of your old friend Bob's favorite songs and you are right..there would be NO laughing in this case ( of course if I were out looking like she was I would probably be pissed that I ended up with what I was trying to escape in the process--haha ).

Good thoughts but too funny!

Buddy Gott said...

Thanks, Olivia. :-)

Debra, that hilarious! But, come on, you'd never find another guy with as awesome of a record collection as my old friend Bob. :-)

Melissa Lummis said...

I always love when this song comes on the radio, Buddy. Now I'm really thinking about it. Damn it, >:-(